I. Israel v.30
– During the time when Israel had come to the end of their sojourn in the desert they encamped across from Jericho which was the first city they were to encounter in their journey into the promise land
– Read Joshua 5:13-6:5
– When they were told to march around the city once a day for 6 days and on the 7th day to march around the city 7 times, have the priests blow their trumpets (rams horn) and the walls will fall. It must have seemed somewhat far fetched
– That is why we are told, by faith the walls of Jericho fell after they had been encircled for 7 days – Exercised faith over a period of time allow us to see the hand of God deliver
– Have you ever thought God wanted you to do something crazy? – Did you do it or did you doubt your ability to hear the voice of God
– Sometimes what God asks defies logic – The only real question is are we going to obey or not – Israel obeyed. What about you?
II. Rahab v.31
– The story of Rahab is interesting – She was a harlot who met the spies from Israel to scout out Jericho. She helped them gain entrance, hid them while they were there, and helped them depart the city.
– Read Joshua 2:1-14
– Her faith caused her to participate in what God was doing and she didn’t perish with the other people of Jericho – She knew God would do what He said
– Sometimes obedience to God can put us in opposition to the local government
– Rahab feared God more than man – A lesson for us all!
– If we are going to participate in the faith connections God has for us
- * We must realize when God is speaking to us about a situation He is also working on the other people involved – Initially we don’t always see what God’s doing
- * Walking in faith will change our destiny to the one God planned for us – Often we think the choices we make don’t matter or the events will work out the way they would naturally regardless if we follow God or not – This is the work of the enemy in our mind to make us believe there’s no point in obeying God –Reject!
- * When we choose to obey God it allows us to discover what He is up to and what role our obedience plays in it – We are able to see the whole picture
- * Be careful that you don’t allow convenience to keep you from obeying God
Convenience can be an alluring trap the enemy sets to cause us to think the cost is too high to follow God – What have you missed out on that God had for you because you didn’t obey Him because of obedience