I. Seeing the Promises v.13
– So the writer ends this section by stating that “all these died in faith”
– All the way through their death they never stopped believing God – Are you so confident in what God has said that you will trust Him even if what He said doesn’t materialize in your lifetime?
– Spiritual vision – They saw the promises but never received them – When you walk in faith God will reveal to you what He is up to and allow you to naturally embrace your part in the plan – When you are living a life of faith it is a joy just to participate in what God is up to
– They welcomed them from a distance – As you walk in faith (embracing the things of God) over time you will gain a perspective of what God is doing and how He does it allowing you to welcome them from a distance also
II. Knowing Our Home .13-16
– They knew their place in this world – They were strangers and exiles
– They didn’t want to put down roots here but in a country of their own
– If they were thinking of the country from which they went out (this one) they would have the opportunity to return – We cannot love the things of the world and God at the same time – When we truly chose Christ we leave this world behind
– Those with the right perspective want a better country, a heavenly one – Their desire is for God and the things of God, including a home in heaven
III. God’s Reaction v.16
– God is not ashamed to be their God:
- * Can you imagine God being ashamed to be your God? (Not wanting to admit you are His) – I hope this never happens to me
- * Those who walk in faith God is proud to call you His child!
– For those who walk in faith, He has prepared a city – The New Jerusalem
– Remember: Faith is required by Him to please Him! – Walk in Faith!
– So, if we are going to walk in faith we must realize:
- * Remaining faith filled does not mean you never doubt, it means you always return to God and the plans He has for you – Many of the people in this list had doubts, but as they considered God they choose Him instead of their doubts
- * Faith gives us spiritual eyes to see what God is up to – Why would God reveal to us what He is doing if we don’t trust Him? – If we are struggling to trust God we must ask ourselves, why? – Remember He will always deliver on what He says!
- * What we are seeking in our relationship with God? – A good life (defined by)? To grow (how)? To know Him more? Wisdom? – The answer to this question will reveal your path