Elements of a Mature Church
I. Don’t Be Deceived v.1-4
– We need to know the truth about the coming of the Lord and our gathering together to Him – Second advent and the sheep & goats judgment Matt 25:31-46
- * Don’t be quickly shaken from your composure
- * Don’t be disturbed either by a spirit or a message or a letter as if it was fromPaul saying the day has come
– So we are not deceived, here are the events that must happen first:
- * Apostasy – The abandonment of all religious beliefs
- * The man of lawlessness is revealed – Rejects all other worship and proclaimshimself to be God as he takes the seat in the new temple
– Understand the signs of the times so you won’t be deceived
II. The Man of Sin v.5-10
– Currently the man of sin, if he is already here, is or will be restrained by the HolySpirit until the Holy Spirit is taken out of the way – Rapture
– Realize the man of sin is in accord with Satan’s activities – Unholy duo
– He will demonstrate power, signs, and false wonders – Old tricks of the devil to deceive and confuse – Same as soothsayers who opposed Aaron
– These activities will deceive those who don’t know the Lord – These people have no discernment and will see this person as a savior
– Recap: Man of sin on scene restrained by Holy Spirit; Church removed and Holy Spirit taken out of the way; Apostasy; Man of sin miracles – Takes seat and claims to be God
III. Don’t Wait v.11-12
– Once this takes place, those who have rejected Christ will be made by God to believe what is false – Their opportunity for salvation has passed – Don’t wait
- * This is so they will be judged for rejecting the truth – No to the gospel
- * This is so they will be judged for taking pleasure in wickedness – They derived pleasure from evil things and immorality – Actions revealing lostness
– We cannot get around to obedience eventually – We need to respond now – Remember, delayed obedience is disobedience – What has God said to you?
– Today’s the day of salvation there is no promise of tomorrow – Why are you waiting?
– Lessons for today from a study of the Day of the Lord:
- * Know the truth – It is important to know what we believe and why! 2 Timothy 2:15 says, “Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth.”
- * Realize we have an enemy – We live oblivious. His goal is to prevent you from being saved, and if you are saved from walking with the Lord in obedience – defeat
- * Realize God is more powerful than our enemy – Don’t fear the devil, fear God!
- * Any excuse that keeps us from obeying God is causing us to miss out on what God has for us today – The day for excuses is over – Follow, just say yes!