I. You Know the Signs v.1-3
– Paul tell us up front that we already know the signs of the times and epochs – Then he proceeds to list some of them
– The Day of the Lord – Great Tribulation – 7 years of God’s wrath poured out
- * Will come as a thief in the night – Unexpected. At His discretion.
- * While they are saying, “Peace & safety” – The world is looking for peace and safety – Maybe because: they need it; OR they think they have it
- * Destruction will come upon them suddenly like labor pains and there is no escape – Again unexpected and there is no way around it
– These signs are associated with the Day of the Lord – Mostly unexpected when the world is crying peace & safety
II. Be Alert v.4-7
– If the day of the Lord is coming unexpectedly we must stay alert!
– Now, it is only unexpected by those who are in darkness – Believers know about it and should be ready expectantly looking for Him!
– We are sons of the light and day – Jesus said, “I am the light of the world” and we are His children – As a result:
- * Do not sleep as others do – Spiritually unaware – Eph 5:13-15
- * Be alert – Expectant of, and watching for His return!
- * Be sober – Don’t tune out or be controlled by something other than Him!
– So, we have a responsibility to be alert, but practically how do we do that?
III. Be Prepared v.8-11
– So, if we are going to be sober toward the coming of the Lord then we must:
- * Put on the breastplate of faith and love – It protects our heart
- * Put on the helmet the hope of salvation -Confidence in Christ protects our mind
– These sound mysteriously like the armor of God – Our confidence must be in Him, and we must rely on what He has done for us
– Then Paul gives us some reminders:
- * God has not destined us to wrath but to obtaining salvation in Christ – Be encouraged the wrath of God is not meant for you!
- * We will live together with Him whether we are awake or asleep – We will never be separated from Christ
– So encourage those struggling, build up one another – We are safe in Him!
– So where do these spiritual insights leave us?:
- * Jesus is coming for us! – This should be of great comfort to us all!
- * Lets keep an eye out for Him – Live expectantly of His imminent return – Don’t leave things undone – If there is something you need to address do it today!
- * Lets keep an eye out for one another – We are called to be involved with one another for the benefit of one another and for His glory – We need each other!
– The fact that Jesus is coming for us should change how we live!