This morning as we look at our stance on truth we will see the inspiration of the Bible, what truth is, and how it affects us. . .
– When we talk about the inspiration of God’s Word phrases like, the Divine Verbal Plenary inspiration of the Word of God – It matters that we understand what that means – Lets break this down into the 3 words:
- * Divine Origin – This means that God Himself inspired His Word
– Read 2 Peter 1:21 – The Holy Spirit moved men to speak for God – It was not something they came up with on their own
- * Verbal – This means the very words themselves are inspired by God
– A good example of this is found in Galatians 3:16 – Very specific words
- * Plenary – This means that every part of Scripture is inspired
– Read 2 Timothy 3:16-17 – All Scripture is inspired by God
– Why would God go to this level of inspiration? – To equip us for every good work
– So what we are left with is God Himself inspired all of His Word down to the very words themselves – This book is from God! – You ought to read it
II. What is Truth?
– If we say we are going to stand for truth, we have to know what it is!
– Read John 17:17 – Here we are very clearly told that the Word is truth
– Read John 14:6 – Here we are told that Jesus also is the truth (John 1:1, 14)
– Read Proverbs 30:5 – Every Word is pure – You can rely on Him – He will be a shield to you
– So, as we pursue truth we are also pursuing Jesus and they can be completely relied on – Remember the truth will always be true! – Pursue!
III. How the Truth Affects Us
– It’s our responsibility to interact with the truth and the following happens:
– Read Hebrews 4:12 – God’s Word discerns us and the Holy Spirit applies it to us
– Read 1 Corinthians 2:12-13 – It instructs us via the Holy Spirit and we share it
– Read John 8:31-32 – It continues in us (faithfulness) and sets us free (bound)
– Read John 4:24 – It defines how we are to worship!
– Read 2 Timothy 2:15 – Lastly we are charged to study so we can accurately handle the Word of God – It is that important and required for us to be used
– Interacting with the truth aligns us with God and allows us to worship God!
– So what does standing for the truth mean here at New Life?
- * We must pursue it without compromise – Our desire must be to know the truth – We do not want to walk with false beliefs – If w do the result will be failure and frustration
- * We must apply it without compromise – The truth will confront us when we don’t align with it – Do you want to align yourself with truth, or do you want to make it align with you?
- * We must speak it without compromise – Sometimes it can be hard to tell someone the truth, but we must speak it with love – Empathy and gentleness
– The truth matters, but remember it is meant to transform not to beat up!