This morning as we look at the exchanged life we will see who we are, understanding brokenness, and how to live now that we are in Christ . . .
I. Who Are We?
– How we see ourselves directly impacts how we interact with the Lord and the world around us – We must see ourselves as God sees us! So, how does God see us?:
– Read 1 Thess 5:23-24 – We live in a body, possess a soul, and are a spirit
– Once you enter a relationship with Christ look at who God says you are:
- * 1 Corinthians 1:2 – You are a saint!
- * Ephesians 2:10 – You are a work of art!
- * Romans 5:17 – You are righteous!
- * 1 Corinthians 3:16-17 – You are holy!
– Not once does God call us sinners after salvation – Why? – Because He changes our identity in Christ to the descriptions above and more
– It matters that you know who you are in Christ
II. Understanding Brokenness
– The biggest problem we have in our lives is the attempt at independent living apart from the live giving power of Christ within us – Brokenness causes us to abandon that kind of thinking and embrace our new life in Christ
– John 12:24 – Tells us brokenness is required for us to bear fruit
– 1 Peter 4:12-13 – Problems are not meant to be a source of irritation. They have a godly purpose – Embrace them as opportunities to know Him
– 2 Corinthians 1:8-9-Paul says the purpose for suffering is so we will trust in God
– Luke 15:11-32 – Prodigal son – Both accepted because they were sons not based on behavior
-1 Corinthians 1:27-30 – Brokenness is when we come to the end of ourselves and begin to live our lives by receiving what God has for us – Brokenness is where life begins
III. How Do We Live?
– Now that we are new in Christ and have given up our dependence on ourselves, how are we supposed to live the Christian life?
– Galatians 2:20 – Now that you are alive in Christ you discover your life by walking in faith
– John 15:4-5 – We bear fruit by abiding in Christ, not by trying harder – Apart from Him we can do nothing!
– Philippians 3:3-6 – If your flesh couldn’t save you why would you trust it to live the Christian life?
– Let’s stop trying to improve our flesh and start living out our salvation!
– The good news about the exchanged life is:
- * There is a way to live the Christian life that results in victory and does not result in frustration – If Jesus died to give us life it should be important enough to us to find out how to live in it
- * It’s not up to you to make it happen – Listen, obey, enjoy! – He will lead you into life!