The Holy Spirit
This morning we are going to look at the difference between the fruit of the Spirit and the two passages on the gifts of the Spirit . . .
I. The Fruit of the Spirit Galatians 5:16-26
– When you walk by the Spirit you will not carry out the desires of the flesh – This is the key to victorious living – You have already overcome!
– Then we are given a list of the fruit of the flesh and of the Spirit
– Those who belong to Christ have crucified the flesh with its passions and its desires – It’s a done deal – We have already overcome!
– Since we live by the Spirit – Discover life by walking in the Spirit
– So, the Fruit of the Spirit:
- * All of it is for everyone
- * It is a result of the filling
– So, then what are the gifts of the Spirit?
II. The Gifts of the Spirit-1 Romans 12:3-13
– Paul starts by telling us not to think of ourselves more highly than we should
– Sound judgment understands God gave us faith and a place in the body – Why? – Because it’s easy for us to begin to take credit when God is working
– Realize: Our gifts differ according to the grace given to us – So the spiritual gifts we receive are a result of God’s grace! – Remember we are one body!
– Here are the gifts listed in this passage: (Explain)
- * Prophecy
- * Service
- * Teaching
- * Exhortation
- * Giving
- * Leadership
- * Mercy
– These gifts were given to the body to minister to the body – So we are instructed us on how to use these gifts – Reread v.9-13
– If we all do our part God’s way the body is edified and God is glorified!
III. The Gifts of the Spirit-2 1 Corinthians 12:1-11
– Here Paul tells us he does not want us to be unaware of the spiritual gifts
– Realize you were led when you were lost to mute idols
– Now in relation to spiritual gifts there is a leading by the Holy Spirit and He is not mute – He will always lead you to glorify Christ – The gifts are never for you!
– Realize the gifts are a manifestation of the Spirit, not you. Here are the gifts:(exp)
- * Wisdom
- * Knowledge
- * Faith
- * Healing
- * Miracles
- * Prophecy
- * Discernment (of spirits)
- * Tongues
- * Interpretation of Tongues
– Remember this, it’s the Holy Spirit that works these and gifts each of us what He wills
– Studying the fruit and gifts of the Spirit help us understand:
- * In our service to the Lord they way we do things matters – People see God not only in what you do, but also in how you do it! – The filling of the Holy Spirit expresses the nature of God to the people around us – Let them see Him!
- * In our service to the Lord realize you are called and gifted to do something for Him – We must embrace our role and allow the Holy Spirit to work thru us – Remain humble
- * The power we have to impact the world doesn’t come from getting busy for the Lord, it comes from connecting with the Lord and being obedient – The biggest impact we ever make in the world will come from introducing them to Him and teaching them to walk with Him – The problem is we have to do it first!