This morning as we look at the Holy Spirit’s work in prophetic future we will see what He does during the tribulation, the millennial kingdom, and eternity. . .
I. The Tribulation
– So, during the 7 year tribulation period what is going on with the Holy Spirit?
– Read 2 Thessalonians 2:1-8 – He withdraws from His work of restraining sin
- * Sin will be more rampant than it is today and the Holy Spirit will not oppose it
– Read Matthew 24:10-15 – He will continue his saving work thru the preaching of the gospel – Explain the ABOMINATION OF DESOLATION
– Read Revelation 7:9-14 – Those saved during the tribulation are seen in heaven
– So, even though the Holy Spirit is restrained during the Tribulation His saving work continues
II. The Millennial Kingdom
– Following the Tribulation period is a 1000 year visible reign of Christ
– During that time the Holy Spirit will be poured out on Israel – Read Zechariah 12:10-14
- * We know this is the Millennial kingdom because:
– Jesus’ piercing is in the past
– Their mourning is compared to the mourning of the Hadadrimmon in the plain of Megiddo – Hadadrimmon is know by three different definitions
- 1) 2 Syrian gods Hadad & Rimmon
- 2) A city
- 3) Armageddon (exp)
– Read Isaiah 59:21 – He will continue teaching God’s word
– The Holy Spirit will enable Jesus in His Messianic work
- * Read Isaiah 11:1-3 – Wisdom and Knowledge
- * Read Isa 42:1-4 -Justice
– He will continue to indwell His people – Read John 14:16-17
– The Holy Spirit is at work during the Millennial reign of Christ!
– As we move into eternity the will continue His same work in our lives with Him
– He will indwell us forever – Read John 14:16-17
– The Holy Spirit will give us understanding forever – Read 1 Corinthians 2:11-12
– So, in our life spent in eternity with the Lord we will still be engaging with the Holy Spirit who is dwelling in us!
– So, how does understanding the work of the Holy Spirit in prophetic future help us in our walk today?:
- * God loves people so much that even after the rapture, and the pulling back of the Holy Spirit, the Holy Spirit is still working to bring people into a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ – If this is that important to the Lord, how important should our work to present the gospel be to us? – Don’t be afraid! The enemy would like to cripple you in fear unto disobedience & its working
- * The empowering presence of the Holy Spirit in Jesus’ life shows us how the Holy Spirit can also empower our lives if we let Him – What is keeping you from the position of total surrender – Sin you think you love? Control freakedness? – Why would you trade anything for the empowering presence of the Holy Spirit? – Ridiculous
- * Get used to communicating with the Holy Spirit because you are going to be doing it for eternity – It doesn’t have to be a mystery – In prayer be open and honest. When thoughts come to your mind engage Him on them – Many times the reason we don’t is we don’t like what He is talking to us about – Obey regardless