The Holy Spirit
This morning we will discover how to interact with the Holy Spirit by prayer & fellowship, faith, obedience, care for our body, and worship . . .
I. Prayer & Fellowship
– Communication is important in any relationship especially in our relationship with the Holy Spirit
– Read Jude 1:20 – Praying in the Holy Spirit means that your prayers reflect His leading & your agreement with what He is telling you – We are led in prayer
– Read 2 Corinthians 13:14 – We are to fellowship with the Holy Spirit – Fellowship means to spend time with, get to know, enjoy – Is this how you view your time with the Holy Spirit
– Read Phil 2:1-2 – The fellowship we share with the Holy Spirit binds us together
– This is where our individual & corporate purpose are discovered
– Engage the Holy Spirit with prayer and fellowship – You might be surprised what you discover!
II. Faith in Him
– The Holy Spirit has been sent to us to help us – We need to trust Him!
– Read Acts 6:4-5 – We need to be men & women full of the Holy Spirit – You are all full of something – Either self or Him – Choose!
– Read Galatians 5:16 – If you walk in the Spirit you will experience victory over your flesh – Put your confidence in the Spirit! – Has putting it anywhere else worked?
III. Obedience to Him
– As we commune with Him & trust Him to both help & lead us we must act!
– Read Rom 8:14 – Letting Him lead you is the outflow of our relationship with Him – You are not letting Him lead if you are not doing what He says!
– Read Acts 16:6-7 – Be willing to accept that He will tell you no sometimes!
– How long has it been since you did something because He told you? – Obey!
IV. Care for Our Body
– Often we think of our bodies as our own, but we have a responsibility to care for this vessel that God has given us!
– Read 1 Corinthians 3:16-17 – Your body is a temple – It’s holy because He dwells in you! – Who you are!
– Read 1 Corinthians 6:12-20 – Don’t just do something because you can – Do things that are profitable for your relationship with Him – This will always be profitable for you!
– Your bodies are members of Christ – Avoid immorality! Glorify God in your body!
V. Worship Him
– We should not act casually toward the Holy Spirit. He is God and worthy of worship!
– Read Acts 5:3-4 – The Holy Spirit is identified as God in these verses
– Read Rev 22:9 – Here we are told to worship God – We must worship the Holy Spirit!
– In looking at how we relate to the Holy Spirit it forces us to as ourselves a few questions:
- * How often to you engage the Holy Spirit for the help He was sent to provide? – If you do engage Him, do you also listen to Him? – Be consistent and He will speak
- * Do you enjoy spending time with the Holy Spirit? – The reasons we don’t usually surround Him stripping away the things of the world we want instead of Him!
- * Are there obstacles you have allowed to interfere with your relationship with the Holy Spirit? – Expecting perfection from yourself, hurt, sin, indifference, selfish