The Holy Spirit
This morning as we look at the protection & preparation of the Holy Spirit we will see how the Holy Spirit protects us by indwelling & dealing us, and prepares us by anointing us for ministry . . .
– Definition: The Holy Spirit takes up residence within the believer’s body and abides with him forever
– John 14:16-17 – He will abide with you and will be in you – The Holy Spirit in us is the indwelling – John also identifies there is a difference in abiding and indwelling
– Romans 8:9-11 – The indwelling Holy Spirit is the identifier that we are saved and is the life giving source for us – Don’t just exist live! (victory over flesh)
– Here are a couple of observations related to the indwelling:
- * He will be with you forever – John 14:16-17 (already read) – Safe
- * Our bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit – 1 Corinthians 6:19 – In their understanding of the time the temple was the place that God dwelled and that place is now our bodies – We should treat it as such!
– Definition – This is the work of the Father who seals the believer with the Holy Spirit to preserve him until the redemption of his body completing his salvation
– Ephesians 1:13-14 – The seal of the Holy Spirit is God’s promise to us of our inheritance
– Ephesians 4:30 – God sealed us for the day of redemption – Nothing can break it
– 2 Corinthians 1:21-22 – The Holy Spirit sealing is our pledge from God that He will complete our salvation
– Explain the history of sealing in relation to kings
– The biblical uses of sealing signified several things
- * A completed transaction – Jeremiah 32:9-10
- * Security – Matthew 27:66
- * Ownership – 2 Timothy 2:19
- * Approval – John 6:27
- * Sealed at salvation – Ephesians 1:13
– When God does the sealing you can rest comfortably that you are safe!
– Definition – The Holy Spirit anointing signifies our being divinely appointed to be Jesus’ servants and our receiving of the Holy Spirit to help us do just that
– 2 Corinthians 1:21-22 – When God saves us He anoints us for ministry
– 1 John 2:20 – We all are anointed for ministry and we all know it – Don’t deny
– Let me give you a couple of facts about your anointing:
- * It comes from the Father – 2 Corinthians 1:21-22 (already read)
- * We are set apart for ministry – Ephesians 2:10
– We are saved to more than a destination. We are saved into a real relationship, are given a real ministry, and the opportunity to know the one who created it all
– Through this section of protection and preparation we come to understand how
God equipped us for ministry when He saved us:
- * The God of the universe lives in you – We can walk confidently in this world in our salvation and calling knowing we are never separated from Him
- * How many of you have seen a rainbow – This was God promise to never annihilate mankind ever again with a global flood – His seal on us is His promise to complete what He began in us when He saved us – You are safe!
- * You have a special calling on your life to perform a specific purpose in the redemptive plan God has to rescue mankind from sin and death – You are anointed!