The Holy Spirit
This morning we will see how the Holy Spirit directs the Christian’s walk by teaching, guiding, and sanctifying . . .
I. The Holy Spirit Teaches Us
– Knowledge – The Holy Spirit’s job is to instruct us so we can know Him as we are known, and both hold and respond to the truth He gives us
– Read 1 Corinthians 2:12-13 – We received the Spirit who is from God
- * So we may know the things God freely gave to us – Salvation and godliness
- * So we can speak the things God freely gave to us – Understand and convey
- * So He can teach us by combining spiritual thought with spiritual words
– He help us to put into words the things we know are true
– Read John 14:26 – The Holy Spirit will teach you all things and remind you of what Jesus said
- * Anything we know about God is not because we are smart enough, it is because the Holy Spirit revealed it to us
– Read 1 John 4:1-6 – We are supposed to test the spirits – How?: What does the Spirit say about Jesus?
- * Jesus came in the flesh – The Spirit of truth
- * Jesus did not come in the flesh – The spirit of the world/error
II. The Holy Spirit Guides Us
– The Holy Spirit is a guide for us – A guide shows and takes you the way you should go
– Read Romans 8:11-15 – The Holy Spirit guides us into godly living causing us to deny our flesh (way of life) and into intimacy with the Father (relationship)
– Read John 16:12-15 – He guides us into truth disclosing:
- * What He heard – Godly Directions
- * What is to come – Future
- * All the things the Father has – Resources in us and to us
– Read Acts 16:6-10 – He guides to where we are supposed to be – God has a hand in your location – It’s important for you to listen to Him!
III. The Holy Spirit Sanctifies Us
– Here we see both the sanctifying work of the Holy Spirit and His work of sanctification
– Read 1 Corinthians 6:9-11 – This describes the sanctifying work of the Holy Spirit
– Our washing, sanctifying, and justifying all happened when we were saved
– Read 2 Corinthians 3:17-18 – This describes the sanctification work of the Holy Spirit – The Holy Spirit helps us discover our liberty (free in Christ), we are being transformed into the glory of God we behold (we are becoming like Him)
– His sanctifying work is to strip away everything from you that is not you to reveal who you are in Christ so He can reveal Christ to the world thru you
– To take advantage of the work the Holy Spirit is doing . . .
- * Be Teachable – This requires humility! Listening! and Application! Realize you don’t know everything – The Holy Spirit is trying to instruct you – Don’t miss it!
- * Realize, when you were saved you walked into a relationship with the Lord and the plans for your life He determined from the foundation of the world – And remember this, His plans for us are better than anything we could come up!
- * Who you think you are may not be who you actually are – The Holy Spirit will strip away the worldly influences we’ve accepted to reveal our true identity in Christ – This can create conflict if we attempt to hold onto that which God is trying to tear away