The Holy Spirit
This morning as we look at the baptism of the Holy Spirit we will see how the Holy Spirit baptizes us into Christ, into the Church, and we will make some observations about this baptism . . .
Baptism Defined – To immerse or place into something
I. Aspect #1 The Holy Spirit Baptizes us into Christ
– Read Galatians 3:26-28 – When we put our faith in Jesus Christ for salvation at that moment the Holy Spirit baptizes us into Christ – So even though we use the phrase “baptized in the Spirit” we are not baptized INTO the Holy Spirit, the Holy Spirit baptizes us into Christ and we receive the Holy Spirit
– This is how we are united in our relationship with Christ!
– Read Romans 8:9 – Being in the flesh and having a flesh are different
- * True believers remain in the Spirit
– So, this is the baptism required for salvation
II. Aspect #2 The Holy Spirit Baptizes us into the Church (Body of Christ)
– All believers from all time are all part of the body of Christ
– Read 1 Corinthians 12:13 – We have all received the same Spirit who baptized us into the same body – We are united in Christ – We are part of one another
– There is one thing that we must never forget – Read Ephesians 5:23 – Jesus Christ is the head of this body and is our Savior
– So we must function as part of His body – He will tell us what to do
III. Observations Related to the Baptism of the Holy Spirit
– Jesus is the one baptizing you in the Holy Spirit – Read Matthew 3:11
- * Your salvations is truly a work of Jesus Christ
– It occurs once to all believers at the time of their salvation – 1 Corinthians 12:13
- * Once you are in you are in – You are secure – You are in Him and He is in you
– The Baptism of the Holy Spirit is different than the filling – Ephesians 5:18
- * The baptism of the Holy Spirit is when we placed into Him. The filling is our decision to be led and controlled by Him. Baptism once; Filling many
– The baptism of the Holy Spirit is different than water baptism – Matthew 3:11
* The baptism of the Holy Spirit places us into Christ. Water baptism is simply a declaration to the church of our salvation
– The baptism of the Holy Spirit is the supernatural act where God, in response to your repentance and faith, places u into Him & Him into you thereby saving you
– Here are some lessons we bring to today about the baptism of the Holy Spirit:
- * You are safe and secure in Him – Sometimes we feel vulnerable because we don’t always see what God is doing – It’s ok to trust and rest in Him
- * We have a vital relationship with Him as His body that we need to explore – How do we hear Him direct us? What is our role? Doing our job/obedience?
- * In our evangelizing efforts we must realize we don’t save people, God saves people – We present but they must respond. Are you presenting?